Photos by Little-Noise.

Dark Eldar Wych - Warhammer 40k

Completed 2013

Worbla and wonderflex were used for the headpiece. Where possible, I prefer to avoid the craft foam sandwich method - I find I get a lot of bubbles, and when using worbla with a WF base, you gain a lot of additional strength. The blades are EVA foam carved (very roughly) to shape, covered in worbla, and attached to the base. The leather wrapping was done after painting, and the spikes were attached last.

The base wig is a long lacefront that I picked up for fairly cheap on Ebay. The ponytail is a full wig, sewn onto two medium sized bulldog clips at the cap, and is 150cm long. The extension is clipped once in the middle of the headpiece, and once below/behind it, grabbing through the wig as much as possible to my real hair underneath. This is VERY heavy, and needs quite a few additional bobby pins to secure it to my head without pulling the base wig back – I think toupee clips would be a good addition here to help keep the base wig in place.

The pauldron is wonderflex and worbla. Again, I skipped the craft foam and just used a double layer of wonderflex, and it worked beautifully. One of the things I hate about thermoplastics, and that took me a long time to get used to, is just how soft they get. I find it really hard to get a smooth, flat surface; especially in large areas. Using a double layer of the material helps a lot.

The dress was draped directly onto a mannequin. The bodice has a cotton sateen base and a gathered chiffon overlayer. The skirt has three layers of chiffon, all distressed at the hem.

The corset is a single layer of satin coutil, boned with flat and spiral steels - there's very little reduction in this garment, it's more of a support piece for the leather plating than a body shaping garment. Once the base was complete, I drew up patterns for horizontal “plates” to be cut in leather and applied over the top. These are stitched into place for the most part, with single cap rivets holding the upper plate in place and spikes to add some interest. The reason I chose to corset was to provide a solid base for these plates – I needed something to provide enough vertical tension to prevent them collapsing in on each other. These plates overlap at the rear, snapping shut to completely cover the lacing. The spine plates attach to the overlap. There are also d-rings at center front and back for the pauldron to snap on to.

Notes

I have a number of Wyches on my to-make list, and I learned a lot about armour and rigging from this project - I'm not really too pleased with how I rigged things the first time, and there are a number of areas I think I can improve on. The spaulder in particular was very prone to slipping out of position, and this was very annoying when worn.